Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, sweepstakes, and more!
We can all pretty much unanimously agree that the best part of any holiday meal is the dessert! And if you're anything like us you've been scouring the internet for the perfect sweet treat to top off your delicious meals. Well, call off the search party because we have the perfect dessert right here -- Brown Butter Ginger Cookies with Honey Mascarpone Cream! These cookies are sure to be a crowd pleaser and you can be confident that there will be plenty to go around. Read the full recipe below and get to finalizing your holiday meals, courtesy of S.Pellegrino® Sparkling Natural Mineral Water.
Brown Butter Ginger Cookies with Honey Mascarpone Cream
Serves: makes about 1 dozen sandwich cookies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
3/4 cup butter, browned*
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Additional sugar for rolling
Honey Mascarpone Cream
8 oz mascarpone
1 – 2 Tb honey
1 vanilla bean
*To brown the butter simply melt in a sauce pan. Let the bubble come to a boil. The milk solids will foam up and as they do watch for them to turn golden. If you have a dark pan you will need to swirl the butter carefully and maybe spoon some on to a white plate to notice the color. You will notice a gently nutty smell wafting from the pan as the solids in the butter start to caramelize. As soon as you see deep golden bits at the bottom of the pan turn off the heat. The butter will continue to brown even as the heat is off so do not let the butter get too dark. Let the butter cool slightly before proceeding with the recipe.
1. Combine the just warm browned butter with the sugar in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add the egg and molasses and mix well.
2. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in another bowl then add to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir until just combined.
3. Use a spoon to scoop tablespoon size balls of dough. Roll the dough in your hands to form and ball then roll in sugar (I prefer Organic sugar for many reasons, one of which being the granules are bigger and more pronounced on the cookie).
4. Place on a baking sheet (12 per sheet) and bake at 350*F for 10-12 minutes until puffed and set. If you prefer flatter cookies to the ones you see in my images you can gently press them down before baking.
Honey Mascarpone Cream
1. Combine everything in a bowl. Start with 1 tablespoon honey, then add more if you’d like. A vanilla bean isn’t necessary but a lovely addition.
2. Sandwich the mascarpone cream between the cookies once the cookies are completely cool.
Enjoy more holiday recipes from S.Pellegrino® Sparkling Natural Mineral Water here!