World travelers, get ready to tally up your bragging rights.
Travel planning and booking site TripAdvisor has announced the winners of its Travelers’ Choice awards in the landmarks category. An algorithm that culled reviews and ratings for landmarks around the globe over a 12-month period has determined the top place to visit anywhere on the planet. Can you guess what it is?
Well, it’s Machu Picchu in Peru! The Incan fortress high up in the Andes Mountains, perched over the Urubamba River valley, was built way back in the 15th century but later abandoned. And if you haven't seen it with your own eyes yet — and taken an epic selfie — this ranking might be the nudge you need. The hike in to see it via the Inca Trail is the brag-worthiest way to go. But make sure you acclimate to the altitude no matter what.
Of the remaining landmarks on the top 10 list, just one was in the United States: The Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in Washington D.C., which came in at number nine.
Here’s the full list of the top landmarks in the world for your summer travel-planning pleasure.
1. Machu Picchu — Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center — Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3. Angkor Wat — Siem Reap, Cambodia
4. St. Peter’s Basilica — Vatican City, Italy
5. Taj Mahal — Agra, India
6. Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba — Cordoba, Spain
7. Church of the Savior on Spilt Blood — St. Petersburg, Russia
8. The Alhambra — Granada, Spain
9. Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool — Washington, D.C.
10. Milan Cathedral (Duomo) — Milan, Italy
Jet Set is Bravo's launch pad for the most extravagant, luxurious, and unforgettable travel experiences. Ready for takeoff? Then Like us on Facebook to stay connected to our daily updates.